As a Database Administrator you will be part of a motivated team of experienced architects, developers, and system engineers responsible for the database design and implementation as part of a new cloud initiative. The team is helping to build a next generation digital archival solution. The DBA will be the technology expert in implementing the database design keeping high performance and security as priorities. The DBA is responsible for the following tasks pertaining to ERA initiatives.
• Installation of software (PostgreSQL, DB2 and/or MySQL), patching & upgrades
• Implementing schema(s) designed by data architects (needs to create the corresponding scripts for reuse).
• Setting up users, profiles, privileges etc. as per security guidelines
The DBA is expected to work with development teams to understand functional needs and collaborate on the implementation of databases with data integrity, performance, and security as key considerations. Additionally the DBA shall work with the DevOps team to automate routine deployment tasks.
Description: In addition to the description provided above, following is the approximate mixture of job duties:
1. Job Duty 1 with 50% of time- Creating databases, configuring PostgreSQL parameters for optimal performance based upon data models.
2. Job Duty 2 with 10% of time- Analyze application requirements; identify potential bottlenecks with the queries.
3. Job Duty 3 with 15% of time- Setting up users, profiles, privileges etc. as per the security guidelines and performance tuning.
4. Job Duty 4 with 10% of time- Design reviews and verifying the accuracy and validity of data captured. Executing ad hoc queries.
5. Job Duty 5 with 15% of time- Prepare all required documentation
Required skills/Level of Experience :
6. 4 – 5 years of experience in working with PostgreSQL
7. Solid understanding of relational databases, data structures, data quality and cleansing strategies and experience working with large volumes of data.
8. Solid experience in installing and setting-up databases from scratch in a traditional infrastructure environment
9. Solid experience working with the Amazon Web Services Relational Data Service (RDS), including instance provisioning, CloudWatch monitoring and alerting, maintaining snapshots, as well as routine backup and recovery operations
10. Solid experience with PostgreSQL CLI commands
11. Solid experience with at least one PostgreSQL GUI tool (e.g. PGAdmin)
12. Solid experience with database comparison tools
13. Experience with data migration and bulk loading techniques
14. Experience with taking database backups using various methods
15. Experience in implementing OLTP and OLAP systems and using data query/modeling tools (i.e. Toad, Erwin, etc.)
16. Excellent SQL optimization skills and performance tuning expertise
17. Experience with Linux CLI and shell scripting
18. Experience in hardening databases based on CIS benchmarks.
Nice to have skills:
ITIL Foundation in IT Service Management or ITIL Intermediate Level (preferred)
1. Knowledge and experience in the areas of Data Warehousing, ETL, and Data Aggregation, and data access.
2. Experience with “Big Data,” large scale data storage, processing, and analytics.
3. 6 -7 years of experience at least 2 of the 3 products (PostgreSQL, MySQL, and DB2).
U.S Citizenship required. NACI background check will be conducted.