This job requires a Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field or equivalent knowledge with six years of related professional experience, including hardware and software system development in the Unix environment and experience supporting HP and Sun Unix in a multi-server environment.
Expert level knowledge and working experience in the following areas:
Essential Job Duties:
1. Develops, designs, and maintains the UNIX infrastructure for enterprise applications.
2. Implements and maintains the enterprise web servers and streaming servers. Implements, manages, and troubleshoots the enterprise e-mail servers and appliances. Implements and maintains the enterprise Domain Name System (DNS) servers. Implements system patching and remediation of security vulnerabilities.
3. Develops standards and procedures for UNIX-based systems to include backups and restores. Provides system documentation. Customizes and implements enterprise level system hardware and software for UNIX-based systems.
4. Configures, integrates, and tests application software.
5. Designs and develops system administrative utilities and automation utilities.
6. Programs complex scripts for scheduled jobs.
7. Troubleshoots and provides support of systems.
8. Provides general UNIX administration. Performs analysis and tuning of the UNIX-based systems.
9. Researches and implements new software and its uses for UNIX servers. Evaluates new technologies and recommends changes and additions.
10. Participates in UNIX-based application strategies and helps develop system specifications.
11. Collaborates with database administrators (DBAs) and other members of the UNIX/DBA group on UNIX-related matters. Assist the DBAs in solving Oracle and Informix issues. Provides database administration for Oracle and Informix in a backup capacity.
12. Serves as Subject Matter Expert (SME) and resource on UNIX-based systems/applications. May act as a technical project leader or provide work direction for lower level employees.
13. Creates scripts in Java, and Perl in support of applications.
Enterprise grade production environment; Storage Area Network concepts and systems; HP UX, AIX and Linux varieties of the Unix operating system running on enterprise-class hardware in a networked environment. Extensive knowledge in a broad technical spectrum, especially the UNIX environment. Extensive knowledge and hands-on experience in computer system design, system implementation, and system operations. Solid understanding of operating systems, paging and swapping, inter-process communications, devices and what device drivers do, and file system concepts (inode, clustering, logical partitions). Ability to use performance analysis to tune systems. Solid understanding of networking/distributed computing environment concepts, principles of routing, client/server programming, and the design of consistent network-wide file system layouts. Strong ability to program in an administrative language (C and K shell, Tk and Perl), to port C programs from one platform to another, and to write small C programs. Ability to solve problems of substantial variety and complexity. Ability to undertake tasks broad in nature, requiring ingenuity, and originality. Ability to operate using substantial latitude for independent judgment and action. Ability to work successfully in a team environment.