Serves as senior engineer and Subject Matter Expert (SME) on technologies deployed in the Data Center, Storage Area Networks (SAN), enterprise class servers, virtual server farms, enterprise backup technologies, enterprise systems, and performance monitoring platforms. Designs, builds, manages, and monitors enterprise class production servers and SAN. Analyzes complex data and problems across multiple systems and identifies corrective actions.
Applies in-depth technical knowledge to complete assignments that are broadly defined, require judgment and creativity to complete, and require the identification and analysis of multiple and complex variables. Independently acts to solve a full range of complex problems/issues that arise in areas of assigned responsibility, but may receive guidance or expertise from higher-level staff on more complex problems. May establish processes/procedures to ensure the effective and efficient operation of complex functions.
1. Serves as senior engineer responsible for supporting and administering the health and welfare of server systems and associated applications. Provides tier 3 support and analytical support.
2. Serves as SAN SME and Administrator with focus on EMC’s VMAX and CLARiiON storage arrays, Cisco switches, and host connectivity in a Windows/Linux/AIX environment.
3. Serves as SME on systems’ performance issues, and utilizes a variety of monitoring tools and platforms to identify system problems, including voice and data. Analyzes complex systems situations and takes proactive, independent action to ensure stability and availability.
4. Serves as senior engineer in a distributed data center, including a disaster recovery (DR) site with real time data replication, and hot standby servers.
5. Maintains up-to-date knowledge of Windows base server operating systems. Installs and configures Microsoft Windows servers. Performs driver updates. Troubleshoots any Microsoft Windows server-based issues.
6. Serves as SME on virtual server technologies. Builds and manages virtual server farms.
7. Maintains and administers all Data Center Enterprise System Management tools. Assesses trends in server usage and storage. Administers suites of monitoring tools from vendors like BMC, IONIX and EM7.
8. Performs detailed and complex technical assignments including building of server clusters, performance tuning, and addressing SAN security.
9. Identifies, analyzes, and resolves level 2 and level 3 server issues in conjunction with planned and unplanned outages.
10. Provides input for establishment of documentation on all operational processes, including installation, configuration, and upgrades to the SAN. Advises on planning and development of systems architecture and standards.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Ability to manage, diagnose, design, and implement enterprise-class server environments. Expert level analytical and troubleshooting skills. Expert level knowledge in Storage Area Network (SAN) technology and Fibre Channel technologies, including EMC’s VMAX, DMX, and Clariion platforms. Expert level knowledge of Storage tools and applications, PowerPath, Enteprise Control Center (ECC), Navisphere, and SYMCLI. Expert level knowledge of Windows Server environments and production systems. In depth knowledge and experience with enterprise backup platforms and related concepts. Knowledge of switched networks and TCP/IP routing protocols, network administration, and security issues. Expert level understanding of system monitoring concepts and products and remote management of enterprise environments.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements:
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent knowledge.
Trainings in EMC Unisphere, Cisco SAN Director, BMC monitoring suite, and IONIX platform suite are required.
Five years of related professional experience.